After toying with the idea for more than a year now, I finally created a Facebook page for SimplyChic! I figure it’s my best bet for getting myself to revert back to creating posts on a regular basis. That said, if you want updates on new SimplyChic blog posts but don’t want to subscribe by email, “liking” my page is what ya need to do! And while you’re at it, you could follow my obsessive pinning on Pinterest for your daily dose of DIY ideas and recipe inspiration (61 boards and more than 3,300 pins – I am not messing around folks) or even take it one step further and follow me on Twitter, too, if you’re a real social media junkie. Just an idea…
Monthly Archives: August 2012
Ohh good ol’ outfit posts – it’s been a while, huh? Well I recently had my bridal shower and managed to get a few pics taken of my thrifty threads that I sported for the event. The night before the shower I had one of those “I have nothing to wear” dilemmas - you know the kind. So what’s a girl to do? (not your average girl, mind you). Head to the local Goodwill of course! I managed to get this little number for under $10 and decided that maybe I should have more of those “at-a-loss-for-what-to-wear” moments more often if it means sweet savings like that! ;)
I’m back with another progress report on the house! While there are still a few more things we want to do in our bedroom, we think it’s safe to say it’s made a noteworthy makeover so far. The first three photos show the “before” from the way the previous homeowners had the room situated and the rest show the progress we’ve made. Check it out:
*Items pictured: curtains = Target, table lamp on left = Lowe’s, brick side table = hand-me-down, alarm clock = Target, wall sconce = Target, duvet cover & pillow shams = West Elm, ampersand pillow = HOM Furniture, table lamp on right = consignment store, bedside table = Home Goods, faux fur rug = Target.
AFTER! (well, progress at least!) The room feels much larger now that the windows aren’t being blocked and more natural light can come in. We currently just have our mattress on the floor but I am planning on putting wood pallets underneath so we are not blocking the heat vents along the wall (but still not blocking the windows, either. I am thinking something like this). We also would like to add a few plants for some natural greenery and eventually install dark bamboo blinds to all four windows.
Where the previous owners had a small jewelry storage table, we decided to put a reading nook to make the space more usable and inviting.
*Items pictured: curtains = Home Goods, hanging lamp = thrift store, throw = West Elm, accent pillow = hand-me-down, chair & ottoman = IKEA, antique side table = hand-me-down, magazine rack = IKEA
Still figuring out what exactly we want to do with that nook off to the right… It would be a good place to tuck away seasonal clothes or linens if we were to come across a storage bin that was sized nicely for the space.
The dresser still needs a little ‘dressing up’ so to speak; I am thinking a plant and a few antique trays for jewelry and such. As for the short wall on the left, it’s in definite need of a piece of art.
The other half of the room. This would be the ideal place for the reading chair, however, Rey cannot part with Mr. Robot (aka the additional heat/AC for the upstairs) so I’ll have to work around it for now; possibly mask it with a large plant… your ideas are more than welcome!
So that’s the transformation thus far! Thoughts?
When I recently received Tarte’s newsletter announcing their friends & family sale (30% off all items), I reached for my credit card without hesitation. The combination of my ongoing “Tarte want” list plus my weakness for a sale could only mean one thing – it was game on. While I didn’t get everything I wanted (I had to draw the line somewhere or else I’d have bought everything off the dang website), my money was well spent on what I did allow myself to buy. Here’s what I purchased and my [brief] thoughts on each item:
1) Maracuja Creaseless Waterproof Concealer — Long-lasting. Full coverage. Natural. Need I say more?
2) Amazonian Clay 12-hour Foundation — You can read my full review about this fab foundation here. And let me just say – you know it’s gotta be good if I, the forever frugalista, have purchased this pricey product three times now.
3) Bambeautiful Amazonian Clay Eyeshadow Palette in ‘Shades of Clay’ — The shades in this palette (shimmering buff, shimmering sable, shimmering cocoa and matte coffee bean) are even more beautiful in person than they are in picture. Each shade is perfect for everyday wear (oh, and I’ve literally been wearing it everyday) plus the color payoff is exceptional. And just how can you overlook that chic and sustainable bamboo packaging?! Gorgeous and green – I’m all for it.
4) ‘Lights, Camera, Lashes!’ Mascara — In addition to Tarte’s foundation mentioned above, this is yet another repeat purchase for me that you can read more about here! (Seriously, if you haven’t tried this stuff yet, you’re missing out!)
5) EmpasEYES Amazonian Clay Waterproof Eyeliner in ‘brown’ – I initially wanted to buy this item for my wedding-day makeup look (waterproof Adele-inspired cat eye, anyone?) but have surprisingly started using it for my brows with my trusty Sigma E75 brush to add a bit of intensity. So I guess you could say this item doubles as a two-for-one and that’s what I call a money-worthy purchase!
6) LipSurgance Matte Lip Tint in ‘Envy’ — With fall just around the corner, how could I say no to a product promising a deep berry lip? All self-justifications aside, I now want to buy every shade in the line – no joke. It’s moisturizing, long-lasting, rich in color, and peppermint-infused — far from that of your typical drugstore lip tint/stain. Now how’s that for pigment-perfect pout, people!?
What Tarte items have exceeded your expectations?