This weekend my pumpkin craving struck yet again, and considering it was Halloween weekend, I had no choice but to make pumpkin cake… with cream cheese frosting (duh!) This is one of those recipes you simply can’t pass up during the fall season.
This recipe was adapted from Everyday Baking with a few added changes of my own listed below.
What you’ll need:
For the cake:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg (I omited this)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used brown)
1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin puree
For the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 bar (8 ounces) regular cream cheese
1/4 cup honey (I used 2 cups of powdered sugar instead)
1 tsp cinnamonDirections:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin-pie spice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, and mix gently until smooth.
- Turn batter into prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan, and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.
- Make frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup (1 stick) very soft unsalted butter, 1 bar (8 ounces) very soft regular (or reduced-fat) cream cheese, and 1/4 cup honey until smooth.
- Spread top of cooled cake with frosting. Cut cake into squares and serve.
P.S. I bought my wedding dress this weekend! :)