Thanksgiving has passed and the chaos of Christmas shopping is in full swing. Why not be thoughtful of the environment while you’re on your holiday hunt this year? Simply support local businesses and eco-conscious products! Here’s what made the top ten list for my personal green gift guide:
- Jade yoga mat via Moss Envy - Give the gift of zen with this all natural yoga mat constructed of natural rubber (contains no PVC or ozone depleting substances commonly found in standard yoga mats). Made in the USA. Bonus - a tree is planted for every mat sold!
- Burt’s Bees almond milk hand crème – This ultra-rich (and delightful smelling) cream helps to relieve harsh hands brought on by old man winter.
- Whole Living magazine – Sign someone (or yourself) up for a subscription to get a dose of the latest eco-friendly happenings; everything from sustainable recipes to natural stress remedies.
- Mrs. Meyer’s Cleaning Set - Since cleaning is an inevitable part of life, why not use great-smelling and earth-friendly products while doing it? Enter Mrs. Meyers Clean Day. (I personally love the holiday seasonal scents: orange clove and Iowa pine)
- Aveda limited edition candle – Set the ambiance with a SCENTsesational (couldn’t help myself) candle like this one from Aveda. The glass holder is made from 95% recycled materials and comes covered in hand-crafted lokta bark paper from Nepal.
- Night Owl Paper Goods to-do list notebook – ‘Tis the season to make those lists (and check them twice). Do it in style with this sustainably harvested birch jotter pad.
- Equal Exchange spicy hot cocoa - A mug full of hot chocolate is the timeless way to warm up on a cold winter’s night. Spice it up with this cayenne and cinnamon infused version for an extra kick! Note: it’s also organic and uses fair trade cocoa — score!
- YESto organic chapstick – Ban chapped lips for the arctic-like months with these organic and conditioning lip butters. Paraben, petroleum & phthalate free!
- True Food by Andrew Weil – A book of 125 recipes that support overall well-being through the use of fresh and seasonal ingredients. (It definitely has a spot on my xmas list!)
- Faribault Woolen Mill Co. wool throw – Keep the chills at bay and support a small business by warming up with a cozy wool throw (made right here in Minnesota)! Eco fact: Since sheep produce a new fleece every year, wool is a great renewable fiber source.
Are these items you’d consider gifting, either for yourself or for a loved one, this year?
Psst - Take your green thumb one step further by wrapping the gifts in newspaper to reduce, reuse, recycle! :-)
I realize that in the past few months I’ve talked heavily about greening your beauty routine (here, here, here, here or here)… but what about all those other items we use on a regular basis?! Today I’m showing you some of my favorite eco-friendly hygiene products! Let’s get to it…
From left to right (sort of)…
- Preserve toothbrush – Made of 100% recycled yogurt cups – just how cool is that? Even cooler is the fact that the packaging doubles as a return envelope; once you’re ready for a new toothbrush, simply put your used one back in the package and send it off to the company for recycling, no postage necessary!
- EcoTools bath pouf - Produced from 100% recycled material, this bath pouf works great for daily cleansing and gentle exfoliation, eco style!
- Organic cotton balls - Whitened with hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine. Find ‘em at your local Whole Foods Market or co-op.
- Tom’s of Maine whitening toothpaste - Get fresh breath and white teeth without the bleaching ingredients of standard toothpastes (plus no animal testing!) Bonus – 10% of the company’s sales go to charitable organizations that support the environment!
- Schick Xtreme3 disposable eco razors – Hair (and landfill waste) be gone! The handles of these eco-chic razors are made from post-consumer plastic that would otherwise be destined for the dump. (Even the packaging is made from 100% recycled paper!)
- Burt’s Bees tomato toner – *A personal fave! This 99.4% natural toner made from tomato, cucumber and parsley extracts helps to clean and tighten pores while leaving behind the subtle aroma of a sweet tomato garden — truly a summer skincare essential!
- Crystal salt stick deodorant – By opting for this affordable option you’re steering clear of the aluminum-based ingredients of typical drugstore deodorants that are linked to an increased risk of cancer.
- St. Ives body wash - Deal alert! For only $2.99, this energizing citrus-scented body wash will leave you smelling sweet using only ingredients made from 100% natural extracts, formulated without parabens and phthalates!
- Moss Envy bamboo/organic cotton blend towels - Dry off with these eco-friendly towels made from the renewable bamboo plant and organic cotton. Whatsmore, they’re hypoallergenic, anti-microbial and fast-drying!
- Goody eco-movement brush – Tame your tresses with this sustainable paddle brush crafted from natural bamboo!
- Acure Organics dry shampoo - Why shampoo daily when you can turn to this fast-acting solution that absorbs oil while leaving behind a pleasant almond scent? Makes for a great go-to item for those pesky “ahh, I’m going to be late!!” mornings.
- Neutrogena Naturals purifying facial cleanser - Wash away dirt and makeup without the use of harsh chemical sulfates, parabens, petrochemicals, dyes or phthalates.
What are some of your favorite eco-friendly hygiene products?